Monday, October 21, 2013

A walk through grandma kates yard

Barefoot bricks between lines of 

 and prickly pine needles sticking to toes 

as we wonder around watering the different plants. 

I her the story of a 16 year old smoking 

Marlboro lights that I brought from Taiwan

 at 2 in the morning about 14 years ago.   

Chasing drag after drag 

with glass after glass of whole fat milk, 

 away from jetlag,  away from America, away from Taiwan.  

This moment removed from everyone 

everything trapped in time. 

We clean leaves out of the cold  fountain 

where I grew up playing endless  gi Joe stories 

I remember my first plastic blue boat 

that I waited a childhoods eternity to play in this fountain.  

The two tiers of rocks,  mountains,  lagoons, and  miniature Trees

  actually twigs and sticks.
all these were waiting for my promise as an early teenager who was no longer allowed to play with toys because of the stigma he attached to it, 
to return some day with my own children.  And let them climb and sit in the water like he did as a toddler. 
And to finally finish the unplayed stories that are waiting to happen in the water. 

We return inside and chuckle again at the story of sesame perched in the Window sill wondering why she was being forced to pretend to be a goat to get our attention
Conversations between trips outside carried on over the wooden table that replaced the one where young bickering love grew into long dialogues of alternative perspectives.  Where silence was treasured as much as the mysteries of the universe that they were trying to uncover. 

Out front:
I question what the little white flower bush is that smells so great "I don't know.  I knew at one time,  but I forget now."

No comments:

Post a Comment