Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dreaming, dragons, and a dog

I remember first drawing the scales on a dragon when I was a sophomore in high school.   The repetition at the time was frustrating.  Looking back now , I see the foundation for a style to come. There is great freedom in being able to create without worrying about the image.  When ever mark is purposeful, there is nothing incorrect.  There is something that has always been very identifiable about dragons.  The story that I see portrayed in this image is one of a dog sleeping on a woman, and a woman sleeping on something that becomes a dragon while they are dreaming.  A lot of myths about the dragons have them protecting something. Maybe I'm protecting the dreams of the ones sleeping on me.  Or maybe the dragon is my dreams.  The force that protects my life dreams while I'm sleeping until the point in my life that they a able to become realized.  Maybe this is an image about a realized dream trapped in a moment.  The dream of having 2 creatures so full of trust and love for you that they will fall asleep on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment